We use Waitaki Boys High School's splendid auditorium, classrooms and common rooms as rehearsal and performance venues.
You can find the venue on Google Maps. Initial registration is in the Dining room (map link)
Most people live on site and dine together in the school's dining room. Special food requirements are met by the school's experienced cook.
On site accommodation is available in the Waitaki Boys High Hostel. There are single and double rooms with shared toilet and shower facilities. You should bring your own bedding (including pillow & sleeping bag) and towels. Mattresses are provided.
You can also camp on site (with some limited powered sites) and with toilet and shower block close by.
Off site - make your own bookings at one of the many motels around Oamaru.
Suggestions for things to bring
- Bedding, including a pillow and sleeping bag (some people find it useful to bring a single fitted sheet to cover the mattress)
- Towel (some people find it useful to bring a bath mat, basin plug and a clothes line as well)
- Your own refreshments for evening socialising (in the dining room only)
- Coffee plunger
- Torch or lamp
- Creature comforts (coffee beans, tea bags, favourite snacks etc)
- Tidy clothes for concert - not necessarily black, just tidy
- Clothes for warm weather (sometimes the daily highs are in the high 20s)
- Clothes for cold weather (sometimes the daily highs are in the low 10s)
- Clothes for rain (it's bound to rain sometime during your stay!)
- Music, music stand (named), pencil/eraser, spare strings/reeds (or what ever you need for your instrument)
- Your instrument!
- Earplugs (at night if you're a light sleeper; during the day when the orchestra is loud)
- Second instrument - if you play another instrument, please also bring it along for informal groups. For example, we often also form a jazz big band to play through some charts
- Recreational gear for tennis (there are tennis courts on the school grounds), cycling (there is a tradition for some to cycle to Kakanui on the Thursday afternoon), swimming (there is a pool nearby), walking, star gazing, juggling, kite-flying......